Pomegranate is used as food as well as medicine since ages. Recently scientists have discovered that a molecule from pomegranate transformed by gut bacteria has amazing anti aging capacity.
Here`s a tasty recipe for healthy gut and radiant skin.
Ingredients – Pomegranate fruit, sugar, Cumin seeds powder, ginger powder.
Recipe steps –
- Make small slits in rind of pomegranate fruit and gently loosen the seeds. Collect seeds in large clean bowl. Take care to remove any membranes or pith parts attached to the seeds.
- Juice the seeds using a press juicer or mixer. Don’t blend them for long period if you are using a mixer/blender, or the seeds will break apart and make the juice cloudy and astringent to taste. Use a mesh strainer to strain the juice in a container.
- Measure quantity of the juice with a measuring cup.
- Take equal amount of sugar in sauce pan or large pot. Combine pomegranate juice and sugar in pan over moderately high flame.
- As the sugar melts completely lower the flame to medium and let it cook. Keep stirring every 3-5 minutes. Remove any pinkish foam as required.
- Keep a plate in refrigerator to chill. You will need this to test if your jam is done.
- As the mixture just starts to thicken lower the flame to minimum. Your jam is a little away from done.
- Add cumin seed powder and ginger powder and mix well.(for 200 ml of juice add half tea spoon cumin seed powder and one fourth tea spoon of ginger powder)
- Check for consistency by dropping a little jam on chilled plate. When you tilt the plate, if it stays as dropped and not run, your jam is done.
- Let it cool on its own. Fill any sterilized glass jar/bottle and store in refrigerator.
Points to remember –
- All utensils used should be cleaned and dried properly before use.
- No water is needed.
- You can taste the juice to check if it’s sour or sweet. Depending on your or your kid`s preference of taste you can change your sugar quantity.
- Jam will continue to lose its water part even after you shut off heat source. It might thicken a little more till it cools off. So you might want to shut the flame a bit before the jam reaches the required consistency
Benefits to health –
- No need to worry about preservatives and chemicals. Completely healthy for your kids who won’t eat roti or chapati`s without jams.
- Skin health – improves skin texture, removes wrinkles, reduces hyper pigmentation, scars and gives you glowing skin. One can add saffron to enhance skin health benefits.
- As per Ayurveda pomegranate has blood nourishing (Rakta Prasadan) qualities which improve the quality of blood. It is helpful in treating anemia.
- Improves digestion, appetite and bowl movements.
- Immunity booster
- Helpful in diarrhea, gastritis, Irritable bowel syndrome.
Leave a reply